Please Visit www.iowalandrecords.org for public record recordings.
Your recorder/registrar is responsible for recording your:
- Contracts Mortgages
- Assignments, Releases
- Federal and State Tax Liens
- Plats & Surveys
- Section Corner Certificates
- Military Service Records
- Trade Names
- 28E & Drainage Agreements Bills of Sale
- Articles of Incorporation
- Financing Statements
- ...plus numerous other documents
Your recorder/registrar is responsible for selling or issuing:
- Boat Registrations/Titles/Liens
- Snowmobile Registrations/Titles/Liens
- ATV Registrations/Titles/Liens
- Hunting and Fishing Licenses
- Fur Harvester Licenses
- Habitat, Duck and Trout Stamps
- Deer and Wild Turkey Licenses
- Landowner/Tenant Gun & Archery Licenses
- Boundary Water/Troutline Licenses
- Ginseng Harvest/Grower License
- Bait Dealer License
- Taxidermy License
For more information see: Iowa Department of Natural Resources
- Issues Marriage Licenses
- Registers Birth, Death & Marriage Certificates
- Certifies Vital Record
Marriage Records - 1954 to present can be obtained at any county Recorder's office. Any marriage prior 1954, the record must be obtained in the county of which the couple made application for marriage.
Birth Records - 1986 to present can be obtained at any county Recorder’s office. Any birth prior to 1986, the record must be obtained in the county of birth.
Death Records - 1954 to present can be obtained at any county Recorder's office. Any death prior 1954, the record must be obtained in the county of death.
As agents, recorders/registrars assist in completing and mailing applications for passports.
Items necessary for passport application
- Completed passport form (unsigned).
- Passport pictures (1). Red background not accepted.
Pictures may be taken at the Recorder's office for a $20 fee
- Certified copy of birth certificate, or old passport.
- Driver's license for identification purposes.
- Used passport if in applicant's possession.
- Check or cash in the amount of $35.00 payable to Butler County Recorder.
- Check made payable to U.S. Department of State:
$130 Age 16 and over.
$100 Age 15 and under.
$30 Age 16 and over.
$15 Age 15 and under.
*Please call the Recorder's Office to schedule an appointment: (319) 346-6612
Your recorder/registrar also:
- Collects real estate transfer tax on conveyances of property, a portion of which is retained in your county's general fund.
- Collects and reports auditor's fee on transfer of property.
- Certifies recorder's records.
- Makes records available for genealogy research.
- Files detailed reports monthly and annually to the county and state agencies.